If you’re not familiar with raita, it is a yogurt-based sauce/condiment that is popular in South Asian cuisine. Grated or finely chopped vegetables and spices are added and the result is a thickish savory mixture that is perfect for dipping bread. It’s delicious, healthy, very easy to make and the ingredients are staples in most pantries. It can be an appetizer or a midday snack. Or even an anytime snack.
Recipe: Spicy cucumber and mint raita
- 1 large cucumber, peeled and seeds scraped off
- 1/2 c. of plain yogurt
- about 8 large mint leaves
- a small handful of cilantro
- a pinch of cumin
- a pinch or two of chili flakes
- 1/2 tsp. of grated ginger
- juice of 1/4 lemon
- salt, to taste
- Grate the cucumber (I used a micro-plane grater).
- Finely slice the mint leaves (see tip on making a chiffonade).
- Chop the cilantro.
- Place all the ingredients in a bowl and stir.
- Serve chilled with toasted flat bread.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 2